Fort Pitt Hospital was built at the start of the 19th century when Britain was at war with France. It was part of the defence network around Chatham.
The hospital was named after the Prime Minister William Pitt.
After the defeat of Napoleon in 1815 the site became a military hospital. The hospital was used to care for wounded soldiers from the Afghan and Sikh wars between 1815 and 1854.
In 1847 the hospital started to admit patients suffering from mental illnesses.
Florence Nightingale visited Fort Pitt in 1856 and 1857. She helped set up a medical school at the fort. The medical school did not open fully until 1860. In 1963 it was transferred to the new military hospital at Netley Abbey in Hampshire.
Fort Pitt continued as a hospital during World War 1 and could hold 550 patients.
In 1922 the hospital closed. The War Department sold the site to the Education Board.
Our Job was to create a concept for nine residential units. To make things a little tricky it was in a conservation area. An architectural survey was carried out to produce CGI's, floorpans and elevations.